Skip to main content

Tips to a Successful Blog Shop

Recently, or maybe not that recent, I've noticed that there has been an influx of blogshops. For the unsure, blogshops are just like any other shop, selling just about anything, just that it is set up online.

Being an avid shopper, as well as one who spends time on the internet often, I have seen myself succumb to buying from blogshops. Many a time, my purchases are sweeeeet! I've not met any dead sellers or had any trouble with getting my items. But don't get me wrong... I still shop at retail shops. In fact, I love both :) Blog shops are fun to scroll through when I just don't have the time to step out (when exams are round the corner).

Apart from being a buyer from online shops, I have also tried selling stuff by setting up my own blog shop. It didn't go so well though. Naturally, I prefer buying to selling stuff. Those who buy from blogshops, you may think that it is easy work, but it is a hell lot of work for the sellers.

They have to choose the supplies from the supplier, model and take photos of the clothes, photoshop them (not the clothes but the way they display the clothes in the blogshop) with the price on it so that it looks appealing. It is TIME CONSUMING. Period.

Having been on both sides of the spectrum, here are some tips to set up a good blogshop :) Hope blogshop entrepreneurs out there would find these tips useful.

  • Have big, visible and clear pictures - helps the buyer to analyse the clothes more closely.
  • Have a model to model your clothes - the buyer is able to see if the dress looks nice overall.
  • Constantly update your collections - this gives people more incentive to visit your shop. if the time lag is too long, your customers may forget about you. It takes more effort to get them back!
  • Have a mailing list - notify your customers when you have new clothes/stuff. great form of alert and update!
  • Always give clear dimensions of your items - buyers will be able to estimate the size from their existing clothing and have a clear idea if it will fit them. (most impt right?)
  • Make sure that the colour portrayed is true on the screen - you don't want your customer to flip when she thought the dress was blue but is purple when she receives it. and no... you can't blame the flashlight for the error (not acceptable!).
  • Mail the item promptly - like standing retail shops, the best service always comes up tops. the service for online shopping is important for repeat purchases too!
  • Always be nice when replying emails - that is the only form of contact with your customer so be nice! you don't want them to give you bad word-of-mouth (WOM). especially when WOM is how blogshops are successful.
  • Reply emails promptly - you don't want the customer to think that you are not interested.
  • Advertise to the best of your ability - you don't necessarily have to PAY for advertising. put your blogshop's url on your msn nick. write on the walls of your friends' profiles on facebook. email all your friends in your email contact list. in essence: SPREAD THE WORD!
  • Get feedback from your customers - it is important to know what you are doing wrong so that you can improve right?
  • Wrap your items safely and nicely to post out - the packaging of how the customer receives it reflects on the image of your blogshop. Handwriting should be neat or words should be best printed.
  • Always write your disclaimers and prices for items/postage clearly on the blogshop - no chance of miscommunication there.
  • Have bank accounts of popular banks - in singapore, that would be UOB and POSB/DBS. make it easy for the customer to buy from you! don't add any deterrence.
I'm sure that this list is not exhaustive, but I believe that these points are what is needed to kick start a great blogshop. Do comment if you have other tips to share!

To end this post, I shall now share 2 local (i.e. SG) blogshops of which I have bought items and gotten great service from. Effective word-of-mouth :)

  • http://www.acrossthebloodyuniverse.com/
  • http://vogueinflowers.livejournal.com/
  • http://thestylemaven.livejournal.com/
LOGO with slogan
P.S. Do share if you have others!

Comments

Webmaster said…
Hi, I like your post! I'm a blog shop owner myself and I recently got this copy of *101 ways to improve my blog shop business* by this dude called alex cheng. It's an awesome ebook!

Do you know him? Because some of your tips for blog shops are similar to his.

aLeXis!
peg said…
hi, all my points are original and directly from me. no idea who alex cheng is though, but it makes sense if some of the points overlap :)
maybe i should write an ebook too... hmmmm...
Unknown said…
Hi! Thanks for the tips! Do visit my online boutique http://feroshaeclat.com! Awesome apparels you'll love! Thanks :)
Hi.Please visit my blogshop.sophia-sweetheart.blogspot.com.thanks
Hi. wow I like your post. DO visit my blogshop at janewendy-blogshop.weebly.com
Pls visit

http://gingerbelle.yolasite.com/
Hi, thank you for this nice blog post, will you be able to have a look at our site and tell me your opinion. http://shoppingjar.com/ Would love to know what you think. Thanks a bunch.
Unknown said…
Agree with the post that there is alot to do that none knows the tough work about it! continue for the great post!

do visit our blogshop too=))
www.braidedtwist.livejournal.com
It was great reading your post. It keeps me in line and review where I went wrong.

Perhaps you can give me some pointers on how to create more awareness for my shop http://www.affairesdecouture.com
Hwan Ling said…
Hi dear! You are good at writing this! :) good tips! :)
do visit www.sanitydesire.weebly.com when you have the time too! Cheers! :)
laujiaqijoanne said…
hi please help me like and visit our pages! :) http://www.facebook.com/#!/MummysBlogshop


visit our bs www.mummysblogshop.blogspot.com
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
excellent tips. thanks for sharing! love it!


http://www.el-bandidoes.com/
Me said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Me said…
Thank you for the tips! But in today's context, more needs to be done to differentiate one's shop from another. Good luck to everyone, including myself! :D

Do support >> www.destylez.com

Popular posts from this blog

Do you like Shark's Fin Soup?

There has always been talks about how fishermen leverage on the huge market for the consumption of sharks' fins and throw the dying shark back to the water after snipping off their fins, aka "live-finning". In JC, I've even watched a documentary endorsed by our very own Stephanie Sun (Sun Yan Zi) about the harm that this is causing on those sharks and other marine life. All these news left me a bit apprehensive and I even swore to lay off shark's fin. However, a few years ago, I remember hearing from my mum, after she had read an article on the Straits Times that we can eat shark's fin without guilt . An excerpt below: However, these sensational pictures obscure the fact that many within the industry are against such practices. The vast majority of fins in the market are taken from sharks after their death. This is the preliminary finding of a review made with the assistance of shark experts, fishermen, captains of big fishi

Animals, Babies and Sex advertisements

In my promotional management class, I was taught that there are 3 types of ads which will attract attention. Three things that attract people's attention 1) Babies 2) Animals 3) Sex Simple but true right? Remember the last time you saw an advertisement with a baby featured in it? Let me give you an example. A classic ad which uses babies. This ad was from Parmalat milk. Their campaign's slogan was - "Because we're mammals". http://www.ciadvertising.org/sa/spring_03/382J/grace/milk_page_nizan.htm Aren't they cuteeeeee? I especially like the panda baby. Maximum cuteness!! Yea, so, babies. Babies attract attention ;) Next, we'll move on to animals! Animals are always cute aren't they? Imagine an ad with this cute lil' hamster. awwwww..... got this pic from google. link: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb255/fhat1/hamster.jpg Actually, I did see an ad recently with a hamster. Can't find it now though, but no worries! I found another ad with a h