Skip to main content

iCabTV or nayCabTV

This picture was taken not so recently. Been meaning to blog about this but it just slipped my mind until I rummaged through the pictures in my iPhone.

Most cab-takers probably already realized that several cabs in Singapore have been installed with TV, more specifically, iCabTV.

At first, I thought it was interesting to have some entertainment on the go. So I tried pressing on a few buttons to see how this thing worked. Not too bad... not only is the screen a mobile tv but it also doubles up as a digital street directory, informing passengers of the nearest atm machine, shopping malls etc.

I think I played with the buttons for about 5 mins before I stopped. Cos having to sit up and go against the force of a moving vehicle is just too tiring. So I just sat back, relaxed, and tried to focus on whatever was on screen at that moment. Quite difficult when the cab driver had the RADIO on AT THE SAME TIME.

Saw an ad where I could win a t-shirt with Luo Zhi Xiang's signature. Vividly remembered that ad. It was a tourism ad on Taiwan. I even sent in my sms. Cool. Wasted 30 cents within my time in the cab. Haha.

After a while, the tv started to become irritating. The same ads were showing and it was rather loud. Good thing I could adjust the screen settings by pressing a few buttons.

After a longer while, I started to realize that I was ignoring the tv. I was doing what I used to do in the cab. Staring blankly at the moving scenery through the window. Why? Because I was starting to get motion sickness. The same feeling I get when I try to read a book, play iPhone games and watch movies on my iPod on a moving vehicle. At the corner of my eye, the moving images of the screen started to irritate me. The sound just made me feel like banging the screen.

First I muted the tv. Not enough. I figured that I had to turn that stupid thing off. All I had to do was press mute twice. Voila! A black screen stared me back in the face.

RELIEF FINALLY!

As a marketing student, I feel that this is just another pathetic attempt trying to catch consumers on the go.

So what if you are able to chuck a tv in front of consumers? They must be willing to watch the screen and not switch it off. Guess you have to strike those with motion sickness off your list.

And as for the advertisers. Yea, you do know how many TVs they have installed, but are you aware of the numbers of TVs SWITCHED ON? For all you know, they probably have 100 iCabTVs running on the road, but 80% of them are turned off by passengers. Is this the number you want? *shrugs* (this is just an extreme example... these are not facts)

Cons of iCabTV (or you could see these as questions that I have myself)
- How can one watch the TV with both the TV and radio on at the same time? Are you going to say no radio for cabs installed with iCabTV?
- What if one passenger turns the TV off? Will the cab driver switch it on again for the next passenger? If not, how will the next passenger be able to "enjoy" the TV if he sees the contraption for the first time and has no idea how to turn it on?
- Assuming the driver will turn on the TV. But what gives the driver the incentive to listen to whatever is on iCabTV as compared to their long-time old friend - the radio?
- Will iCabTV be able to track how many screens are on or off at any point in time?

Hope advertisers will be more discerning when it comes to this new medium in advertising. I say the best way to find out how popular this form of advertising is, would be to ask the cab drivers directly.

iCabTV.... yay or nay?

Comments

Unknown said…
Agree with author on earlier comments. Kinda lame effort in capturing eye balls 'on the go'. After a long/ hard day's work or school, people whom chose to pay more via taxis over buses/ MRT for their journey back home; 'Peace', chill/ relax matter most to them (Speaking for myself, marketing executive for a beauty product, average of 4 taxi trips Mon-Fri.)How many cabs were installed? Versus total cabs in Sg? It was really 'Pain in XXX' on board such taxis fitted with irritating device, taking advantage of passenger's inability to 'get out' of the vehicle due to 'no choice'??? Think again... Lame & out- dated brainless marketing tactics. Advertisers should be pitied.. for trying such platforms, for at least when ad- $ thrown into the drain, there could at least be a "Pop" sound. Hope the authorities would look into removing such irritants from taxis... We the consumers/ passengers pay for our trips, not FOC, so that's no way to treat us.
Unknown said…
Agree with author on earlier comments. Kinda lame effort in capturing eye balls 'on the go'. After a long/ hard day's work or school, people whom chose to pay more via taxis over buses/ MRT for their journey back home; 'Peace', chill/ relax matter most to them (Speaking for myself, marketing executive for a beauty product, average of 4 taxi trips Mon-Fri.)How many cabs were installed? Versus total cabs in Sg? It was really 'Pain in XXX' on board such taxis fitted with irritating device, taking advantage of passenger's inability to 'get out' of the vehicle due to 'no choice'??? Think again... Lame & out- dated brainless marketing tactics. Advertisers should be pitied.. for trying such platforms, for at least when ad- $ thrown into the drain, there could at least be a "Pop" sound. Hope the authorities would look into removing such irritants from taxis... We the consumers/ passengers pay for our trips, not FOC, so that's no way to treat us.

Popular posts from this blog

Tips to a Successful Blog Shop

Recently, or maybe not that recent, I've noticed that there has been an influx of blogshops. For the unsure, blogshops are just like any other shop, selling just about anything, just that it is set up online. Being an avid shopper, as well as one who spends time on the internet often, I have seen myself succumb to buying from blogshops. Many a time, my purchases are sweeeeet! I've not met any dead sellers or had any trouble with getting my items. But don't get me wrong... I still shop at retail shops. In fact, I love both :) Blog shops are fun to scroll through when I just don't have the time to step out (when exams are round the corner). Apart from being a buyer from online shops, I have also tried selling stuff by setting up my own blog shop. It didn't go so well though. Naturally, I prefer buying to selling stuff. Those who buy from blogshops, you may think that it is easy work, but it is a hell lot of work for the sellers. They have to choose the supplies from

Do you like Shark's Fin Soup?

There has always been talks about how fishermen leverage on the huge market for the consumption of sharks' fins and throw the dying shark back to the water after snipping off their fins, aka "live-finning". In JC, I've even watched a documentary endorsed by our very own Stephanie Sun (Sun Yan Zi) about the harm that this is causing on those sharks and other marine life. All these news left me a bit apprehensive and I even swore to lay off shark's fin. However, a few years ago, I remember hearing from my mum, after she had read an article on the Straits Times that we can eat shark's fin without guilt . An excerpt below: However, these sensational pictures obscure the fact that many within the industry are against such practices. The vast majority of fins in the market are taken from sharks after their death. This is the preliminary finding of a review made with the assistance of shark experts, fishermen, captains of big fishi

Animals, Babies and Sex advertisements

In my promotional management class, I was taught that there are 3 types of ads which will attract attention. Three things that attract people's attention 1) Babies 2) Animals 3) Sex Simple but true right? Remember the last time you saw an advertisement with a baby featured in it? Let me give you an example. A classic ad which uses babies. This ad was from Parmalat milk. Their campaign's slogan was - "Because we're mammals". http://www.ciadvertising.org/sa/spring_03/382J/grace/milk_page_nizan.htm Aren't they cuteeeeee? I especially like the panda baby. Maximum cuteness!! Yea, so, babies. Babies attract attention ;) Next, we'll move on to animals! Animals are always cute aren't they? Imagine an ad with this cute lil' hamster. awwwww..... got this pic from google. link: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb255/fhat1/hamster.jpg Actually, I did see an ad recently with a hamster. Can't find it now though, but no worries! I found another ad with a h