Skip to main content

iPhone, gPhone: Just a phase?

So there's all the hype about the iPhone. I've seen the first generation ones... not very hot. And so were most of the comments online.

The iPhone.
Also discussed a case on it in class. The topic was whether the iPhone will hold out in the long run, especially with other strong mobile phone competitors already present, whose core competence is in manufacturing and designing mobile phones.

But we can all understand why Apple is moving forward into the mobile industry. Because it clearly understands that iPod will sooner or later be replaced by mobile phones with great mp3 capabilities that will soon rival the iPod. So why not cannibalize yourself first rather than letting others kill your product in the long term?

Anyway, the bottom line that my Global Strategic Management lecturer analysed, was not in favour of the iPhone.

Reasons:

  1. iPhone is outrageously priced... for a mobile phone nowadays. People in this generation are used to cheap and high quality phones, some even get theirs for free. Maybe Apple has already realized this trend that they cannot keep riding on their strong brand name, which is why you see that the price of the iPhone has reduced drastically.
  2. Also, the iPhone being a unique(?) product is very debatable. What does it have that you see other mobile phones not having? iTunes? That's easily substitutable with other players in Sony Ericsson. The design? Probably. But still, debatable.
  3. There are a large number of competitors already present in the mobile industry.
  4. Also mobile phone users treat the phone as a fashion accessory nowadays. Their switching costs are low and every now and then, there will be a new phone. Can Apple be able to maintain their high turnover of new products as compared to the "more experienced" market players such as Nokia or Sony Ericsson?
  5. Signing a contract with AT&T will greatly create a high barrier of entry. Who wants a phone when they have a limited choices?
These are just some of the reasons we discussed in class.

But still. I'm very sure that more than half of handphone users all have their eyes on the iPhone. Friends I have in sg are yearning for it to be launched locally. Afterall, the iPhone is still fresh in this industry. They have their Apple branding which screams of sleek design, the "fun" crowd and everything the cool crowd should have.

I for one will think twice before I get an iPhone.

Firstly - Will my contacts in my current Nokia handphone be able to switch flawlessly into the iPhone? Or would I have to go through the hassle and pain of transferring them manually?

Secondly - How durable is the iPhone? If I drop it and it spoils immediately, and if I'll have to bring it to the Apple store every now and then, then I say it's not worth it.

Thirdly - How long can the battery in the iPhone last? My current Nokia phone, which is a 6233 basic phone, has a battery life that can last me for 3 days with normal usage. I travel short trips without having to worry whether I brought my charger along.

Hmm.. maybe I should do my own research on this haha. At the same time help me decide if it's worth getting one when it launches locally :)

***

On to the gPhone. Gosh with a big G. A prominent search engine cum online advertising giant wanting a slice of the mobile phone industry too? I guess from the actions of these big players, we all know which industry will be the "hottest" in time to come ;)

It may seem that the gPhone will be officially announced in soon with so much speculation around the Internet.

According to The Wall Street Journal, the specifications Google has laid out for devices suggest that manufacturers include cameras for photo and video, and built-in Wi-Fi technology to access the Web at hot spots such as airports, coffee shops and hotels. It also is recommending that gPhones be designed to work on carriers’ fastest networks, known as 3G, to ensure that Web pages can be downloaded quickly. Google suggests the phones could include Global Positioning System technology that identifies where people are.

So they have these specifications, and we all know how "simplistic" the search giant is. Everything, - from it's webpage, to its ads, to google docs - everything has a very simple touch and feel. So simple and basic for users. But do users nowadays want a simple to use phone?

Plus, what is it that they state that Nokia doesn't have in their phones?

Then again, we understand why they are gearing towards mobile advertising. Cos more and more people are using their handphones to surf the web too! And that's where Yahoo was right, which is why, they are currently the leader in mobile apps and advertising (for now). heh.

The mobile industry is going to be very very interesting in time to come ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tips to a Successful Blog Shop

Recently, or maybe not that recent, I've noticed that there has been an influx of blogshops. For the unsure, blogshops are just like any other shop, selling just about anything, just that it is set up online. Being an avid shopper, as well as one who spends time on the internet often, I have seen myself succumb to buying from blogshops. Many a time, my purchases are sweeeeet! I've not met any dead sellers or had any trouble with getting my items. But don't get me wrong... I still shop at retail shops. In fact, I love both :) Blog shops are fun to scroll through when I just don't have the time to step out (when exams are round the corner). Apart from being a buyer from online shops, I have also tried selling stuff by setting up my own blog shop. It didn't go so well though. Naturally, I prefer buying to selling stuff. Those who buy from blogshops, you may think that it is easy work, but it is a hell lot of work for the sellers. They have to choose the supplies from

Do you like Shark's Fin Soup?

There has always been talks about how fishermen leverage on the huge market for the consumption of sharks' fins and throw the dying shark back to the water after snipping off their fins, aka "live-finning". In JC, I've even watched a documentary endorsed by our very own Stephanie Sun (Sun Yan Zi) about the harm that this is causing on those sharks and other marine life. All these news left me a bit apprehensive and I even swore to lay off shark's fin. However, a few years ago, I remember hearing from my mum, after she had read an article on the Straits Times that we can eat shark's fin without guilt . An excerpt below: However, these sensational pictures obscure the fact that many within the industry are against such practices. The vast majority of fins in the market are taken from sharks after their death. This is the preliminary finding of a review made with the assistance of shark experts, fishermen, captains of big fishi

Animals, Babies and Sex advertisements

In my promotional management class, I was taught that there are 3 types of ads which will attract attention. Three things that attract people's attention 1) Babies 2) Animals 3) Sex Simple but true right? Remember the last time you saw an advertisement with a baby featured in it? Let me give you an example. A classic ad which uses babies. This ad was from Parmalat milk. Their campaign's slogan was - "Because we're mammals". http://www.ciadvertising.org/sa/spring_03/382J/grace/milk_page_nizan.htm Aren't they cuteeeeee? I especially like the panda baby. Maximum cuteness!! Yea, so, babies. Babies attract attention ;) Next, we'll move on to animals! Animals are always cute aren't they? Imagine an ad with this cute lil' hamster. awwwww..... got this pic from google. link: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb255/fhat1/hamster.jpg Actually, I did see an ad recently with a hamster. Can't find it now though, but no worries! I found another ad with a h